A Life in Paint
: You've just acquired a gorgeous painting. You've spent hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars on your new treasure. You're excited and you can't wait to display it proudly. But how do you keep it looking its best for the years to come? Well, luckily, acrylic paintings are incredibly durable. If they're on stretched canvas, like mine are, you don't even need to frame them, they're ready to hang just as they are. Of course, some people do have them framed and that's a matter of personal taste. They don't need to be behind glass to be protected either. But, as with anything of value, there are some common sense do's and don'ts that come with the care of your fabulous work of art.
1. DO: Dust gently with a feather duster or a soft cotton towel, dampened with water only.
2. DON'T: Ever, ever, ever use anything other than water, no bleach, no ammonia, no solvent, no cleaners, nothing! That's a disaster waiting to happen.
3. DO: Hang in a well lit area. Paintings look best in the light.
4. DON'T: hang in a place where the sunlight is direct and intense. All those UV rays could cause the colours to fade over time. I mean, come on, if it's not good for your skin, why would it be good for fine art?
5. DO: Avoid placing your artwork in extreme heat or cold. In extreme heat, the paint can soften. In extreme cold, it could crack.
6. DON'T: Put your painting in any place that is too hot, humid or cold. This is just really the flip side of number 5.
7. DO: Individually wrap and protect each piece in the event of a move. Keep each piece separate or back to back if they must be packaged together.
8. DON'T: Ever place paintings face to face when transporting. Do not do it, ever. NEVER EVER! I know this one seems like a no brainer, but it has happened. Seriously, it has! And along the same line, don't put anything near your painting that could rub against it, puncture it, all that stuff. You know, just use your head.
9. DO: Enjoy your new painting. Look at it every day, show it to your friends and family, let it transport you to that magical world that you envisioned the day you fell in love with it.